What is a financial service?

Financial service providers

You can make a complaint against a financial service provider that is authorised by the Central Bank of Ireland. To check if a provider is regulated, please check the Central Bank register.

Credit Intermediaries

You can make a complaint against a credit intermediary and other providers authorised by the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC). To check if your provider is authorised, please check the CCPC register.

Certain providers subject to the Consumer Credit Act 1995.

You can make a complaint against certain providers subject to the Consumer Credit Act 1995 ('the Act'). If your credit agreement was made under the Consumer Credit Act, your can bring your complaint to the FSPO. The Act covers hire-purchase agreements, consumer hire agreements and moneylending agreements. The Act does not cover the giving of credit, or otherwise, to businesses.

Providers you can complain about:

  • Banks
  • Building Societies
  • Consumer-hire Providers
  • Credit Servicing Firms
  • Credit Intermediaries
  • Credit Unions
  • Creditors
  • Debt Management Firms
  • E-Money Firms
  • Finance Providers
  • Health Insurance Providers
  • Hire Purchase Providers
  • Insurance Intermediaries
  • Insurance Providers
  • Investment Firms (MiFid firms)
  • Investment Intermediaries
  • Money Transmitters
  • Bureaux de Changes
  • Money Lenders
  • Mortgage Intermediaries
  • Mortgage Lenders
  • Pawnbrokers
  • Payment Service Firms
  • Pension Providers
  • Stockbrokers

This is not a complete list. Please contact us if you are unsure whether your complaint can be investigated by us.